NAFD firemen revive family dog after extinguishing home fire

NEMiss.News NAFD revives dog


A New Albany Fire Department (NAFD) crew revived a family dog with oxygen after putting out a fire at a Peterson St. home Tuesday afternoon.

Firemen received the call to 411 Peterson Street about 3 p.m. Tuesday, April 5. Upon arrival firefighters found smoke coming from the home. The fire was found in the kitchen and was extinguished.

After the fire was out, firemen learned that the family pet was still in the structure. They found the pet, brought it out to safety and treated it with oxygen.

The cause of the fire was believed to be electrical. There was minimal fire damage, but heavy smoke damage throughout the house.

There were no other injuries reported.

NAPD Deputy Chief Mark Sides complimented crews for locating and saving the pet.

“We are happy to say that the pet was up and walking around when crews left,” said Sides.

Not three years ago, July 2019, a family dog was credited with saving its human family from serious injuries or death in a fire on Barksdale Drive in New Albany. The dog in that instance was seriously injured. It was treated by firemen and by a local veterinarian. The dog in 2019 made a good recovery.

Dog saves family:  https://newalbanyunionco.com/family-dog-saves-human-family/