Seemingly unconnected events, past and present, create hazards for city crews

NEMiss.News Gas line fire in downtown New Albany


Normally unrelated elements of New Albany’s Light, Gas, and Water systems created unexpected hazards for several city crews early Sunday morning, April 16.

At sometime between 4 and 4:30 a.m., a three-faze primary electrical line clamp failed on an overhead power pole in the “Old Compress” neighborhood on Cleveland St. in downtown New Albany. This caused a power failure from about 4:30 a.m. until about 6:00 a.m.

But the power failure was not the end of the story.

The “hot” electrical connector fell onto a galvanized steel fence, electrifying the fence.

About 70 years ago, New Albany’s first natural gas service was installed by Union Gas Company, a privately owned company. At some point, fence builders unknowingly constructed the chain link fence directly on top of the gas line, causing a small rupture in the gas line.

Union Gas Company was subsequently acquired by New Albany Light, Gas and Water.

When the live electric current struck the fence early Sunday morning, the gas leaking from the line caught fire.

By about 6 a.m. the fire was put out, and repairs to the gas line and electrical service were completed.

No one was injured and no major property damage was reported.

NALGW reminds its customers that smart digging means calling 811 before each job. Every digging job requires a call – even small projects like planting trees or shrubs. Whether you are a homeowner or a professional excavator, one call to 811 gets your underground utility lines marked for FREE!! 

More safety information from NALGW:


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.